Response to Anzaldua's Borderlands

This was such a cool reading!! I have never heard the history of Aztlan told from a source I actually trusted. I was telling my friends this week that I want to visit an Indigenous reservation. Then I realized that that's not very cool because it's like spectatorship. I finally decided that I hope I meet an indigenous friend who would take me to their reservation. I felt, while reading this, that Anzaldua was that friend.

The oral history is so fascinating and I am so impressed/grateful that this information was preserved for so many years. I enjoyed reading about the Aztec migrants led by the God of War to where would eventually become Mexico City. Anzaldua's poetic style enhances the writing and makes me feel as a reader that I'm receiving the oral history from an elder directly. It is so extremely unfortunate that the Idigenous of what we now know as the Americas had to suffer the genocidal violence of European colonialism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response to Latinx Experience In Care Work

Children of Undocumented Parents Resposnse

Response to “What Does ‘Latinx’ Mean? A Look at The Term That's Challenging Gender Norms,” Yesenia Padilla